Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: OBD connection

Default OBD connection

I have a 1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.3L. On page 6-8 of book 25025 it dicusses, very briefly, the OBD. It does not tell me where the connection for the scan tool is. Can you help me find the connector?
    Thank you

Hi tgrfn2,

Your diagnostic connector is located under the driver's side of the instrument panel, to the right of the steering column.

Keep in mind that you have a pre-OBD-II vehicle, so one of the newer generic scan tools might not work. Be sure whatever tool you have (or are planning to get) is compatible with your car.

Default OBD Connector

Is this a light blue 6 pin connector? This is all I've seen in this location. The man at the parts house was going to check it for me said it was not.

Some background on my problem.
    My car misses terribly once in a whlie when driving at highway speeds. A real jerking miss. It has been doing it for a year or so. My mechanic said water in the gas. I tried fuel additive and changed the fuel filter. Seemed to work. So I kept putting additive in. It wasn't long befre the problem came back. Twice recently while stopped and idling the car shut off. I'm thinking crank sensor.

tgrfn2,

Yes, it's the blue 6-pin connector. But remember, you can check for any stored trouble codes without a code reader or scan tool; the procedure is given in Chapter 6, Section 4 (you probably already know that).

I don't want to speculate on what's causing the problem, since that could lead you to buy a part that you don't need (and can't return). One thing is for sure: Intermittent problems are no fun to diagnose!

Default OBD connector

Thank you. That is the information I needed. I have used the flashing check engine light before. My problem is not being displayed.