Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1985 dodge ramcharger prospector no power

Default 1985 dodge ramcharger prospector no power

My Ramcharger has no power. Had the headlights on this evening, and went to start the truck. I turned the key and nothing happened and the headlights went out. I have checked the battery, and have 12.8volts. Now the headlights will not come on even with the key off. I have an electric fuel pump that normally comes on as soon as you turn the key, and it is also not doing anything. Radio will not work, or any of the accessories in any keyswitch position. What could be causing this loss of power? Being an 1985, I do not believe it has a main fuse, but I am at a loss at this point, don't know what to check next.

I have also checked the battery connections, and wires. I do not believe this to be a battery issue.

Use a volt meter and see if you have the same amount of power at the starter as you doo at the battery and then check at the alt. If that is ok the check the ground also by checking the resistance at the neg. cables then go from the battery to the intake manifold and make sure the engine has a good ground. If that all checks out you may have blown a mega fuse but I realy don't think that would happen if you had head lights then they went away when you tried to start it. Let me know what happens

I agree with muddy cherokee
    Check your connections, with that old a truck your grounds may be bad.
    If they check out fine, then look in your manual wireing diagrams and see if it uses fuseable links. I suspect that it does. They are usually near the battery in the wiring harness.

Thanks for all of your help guys. The Beast lives........
    It's cold here in Indiana, and I have been outside working on this thing checking all of your suggestions; wires, fusible links, connections, etc, etc, etc........ for three days now. I even put my good Sears digital battery charger on the battery, just o make sure it wasn't the battery. That works right?????(NO) I finally had given up, because I could find nothing wrong, and did what I should have done in the first place. I pulled the battery and took it to Autozone to have it tested last night. Sure enough, after about two minutes, it tested bad. The guy said it probably had one bad cell in it, because it took so long to come back as a bad battery. He thought the same thing when he hooked it to the machine and it had 12.7 volts. He said "it's a good battery" and then ate his words at the end of the test. I bought a new battery, put it in this morning and it fired right up. I feel like a frozen idiot. I have worked on vehicles like this for the last twenty years, and just really didn't think it was a battery issue.
    Thanks again,
    Frozen in Indiana