Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 01 Gmc Yukon Denali starter removal problem

Red face 01 Gmc Yukon Denali starter removal problem

I am attempting to remove the starter. I have the (2) starter bolts out, the oil sensor connector, and the bolt to the transmission cover. The Starter will not clear, the transmission, however. There are no transmission cover to remove.
    The vehicle has a 6.0 litre engine.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Jim

Hi Jim,

So, the starter is hanging up on something? See if you can rotate it one way or the other; the shield on the solenoid might be hitting something. Or maybe the wiring harness is preventing it from moving forward - see if there's a clip you can remove to free it up. If not, maybe you can angle the starter down far enough to detach the wiring, and maybe that will free it up so you can remove it. Other than that, I don't know what to say - I double-checked the procedure against the factory service manual, and we're not missing anything.

I also consulted our workshop mechanic (the same one who did all the wrenching on the vehicles for book no. 24066) and he just did a starter on a 2000 Chevy truck the other day, and he said there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. He did say that the only thing he could see that might hang things up is the shield.