Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: no heat 1988 Lincoln Town Car

Question no heat 1988 Lincoln Town Car

I have the repair manual #59010 for 1988 Lincoln Town Car and am a little disappointed that it does not contain a vacuum line routing illustration so I can identify the parts I need to replace. I disconnected the vacuum lines from a vacuum Motor? located to the right of center of the dash and I have heat, cannot control it, put the selector lever in the floor position and the fan shuts off. When I took the panels down from the bottom of the dash to access the controls there was a spring that fell out, about 6" long with. Where does this go???
    Thank you. Lynn

Hi becklynn,

Email one of our tech service reps at [email]research@haynes.com[/email]. Explain the problem to them, and also let them know what manual you're using (there's a five-digit number on the cover and on the spine). Also give them the number/letter combination on the title page, just to the right of the Haynes logo (it's the one in parenthesis). They'll do what they can to help.

Wink No heat floor position / spring posibility

No Blower in Floor Mode
    A customer arrives with a 1983 to 1995 Full Size Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury
    automobile with automatic temperature control. If the complaint is no blower operation when
    the floor mode is selected, the vehicle may have a problem with the thermal blower lockout
    switch also referred to as the CELO (cold engine lock out switch).
    The thermal blower lock out switch is located in the heater core intake hose. The two
    wire switch has a thermal element with a small set of contacts, the contacts are open when the
    coolant is below 120F and closed when the coolant is above 120F. The thermal blower lock
    out switch also contains a vacuum switch, which applies vacuum to the outside/recirculate
    valve when the system is in the floor position. When the engine coolant is below 120 degrees
    and the selector is set to floor position, the thermal blower lock out prevents blower from
    turning on and closes off the outside air during engine warm-up. When the coolant
    temperature is above 120 degrees, and the selector is set to the floor position, the thermal
    blower lock out switch allows the blower to operate and opens the outside air door.
    In order to diagnose this problem, test the thermal blower lockout switch with the
    engine at normal operating temperature (above 120F). Unplug the wire harness connector
    from the thermal blower lockout switch. Using a 15-amp fused wire, jumper the harness
    terminals to test the switch. If the blower comes on, the thermal blower lock out switch is
    faulty. If the blower doesnt come on, look for an open between the control head selector and
    thermal blower lock out switch.
    In some cases the blower may continually run even when the engine temperature is
    below 120 degrees. Unplug the thermal blower lock out switch and if the blower motor turns
    off, the thermal blower lock out switch is faulty. If the motor continues to run, look for a
    short to power between the control head selector and thermal blower lock out switch

As for the spring maybe something on the pedals or on the Climate Contol unit . Would have to see to know.