Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2000 Grand Am

Default 2000 Grand Am

Dealer service dept. unable to find coolant leak. Can anyone help? Intake and head gaskets changed in May 2007. I am still losing coolant somewhere!!!

Julie - Start with the basics, how much coolant are you losing daily, weekly etc. Park the vehicle on a clean surface and let it sit (you may want to put down cardboard or roll of paper). Do you get any spots and where are they? This will help determine where the leak is coming from. On the passengers side of the car pull the carpet back and check to see if the padding or carpet is wet. GM has had alot of intake manifold problems, use a good flash lilght to check around the manifold for a white residue, if its a minor leak the coolant lleaves a white type residue when its been burned off by the heat of the engine.

Default Grand Am

Hey I have a 2001 Grand Am. Almost positive they have the same engines. Check your water pump I have had to replace mine 3 times in the past 18 months.

Default 2000 Grand AM

Julie, had same problem with my 2000. On the right side towards bottom of motor, there is a coolant inlet, I beleive it's plastic. There is a rubber gasket inside and in my case it was leaking. Replaced the gasket,no more lose of fluid.
    Prior to this, I was loosing enough to set off the sensor in the resivoir.

good luck