Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: car stalls

Hybrid View

Unhappy car stalls

I have a 1996 Acura Integra it shuts off after about 10 to 15 minutes and also the radio shuts off with the car and even with the ignition on the radio want come on and niether will the car, I can wait about 6 hours and the car will start again the raido will come on then after 15 minutes it will shut off again any suggestions.

zak - The radio and the ignition system do share a common thing: They both get their power from fuse no. 39 (50 amp) in the underhood fuse/relay box, via the ignition switch. Check for power to that fuse when your car dies and the radio shuts off. If at that time you don't have power at the fuse, you know the problem is "upstream" from that point. If you do still have power at the fuse but the car doesn't run and the radio doesn't work, start looking "downstream."

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    zak - The radio and the ignition system do share a common thing: They both get their power from fuse no. 39 (50 amp) in the underhood fuse/relay box, via the ignition switch. Check for power to that fuse when your car dies and the radio shuts off. If at that time you don't have power at the fuse, you know the problem is "upstream" from that point. If you do still have power at the fuse but the car doesn't run and the radio doesn't work, start looking "downstream."
    Would the coil or the ignition module cause this problem and if so is there any way I can test them?

zak -

Sure, the coil or the ICM (ignition control module) could cause a no-run problem like this, and that would make sense. The strange thing about your car's problem, though, is the fact that the radio also quits. That's why I checked the wiring diagrams to find something that they both have in common.

Ignition coil and ICM testing procedures are in Chapter 5 of Haynes manual no. 42025, which covers your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    zak -

Sure, the coil or the ICM (ignition control module) could cause a no-run problem like this, and that would make sense. The strange thing about your car's problem, though, is the fact that the radio also quits. That's why I checked the wiring diagrams to find something that they both have in common.

Ignition coil and ICM testing procedures are in Chapter 5 of Haynes manual no. 42025, which covers your vehicle.
    I changed the ICM and got the coil tested and it was good it tested a 15.7 and it still would'nt start so I checked the spark again and I only got spark 1 time and it looked kind of week so I hooked up a code tester and it said code error, would a bad Distributer make it do this and I also unhooked the alarm by taking out the fuses it's an after market alarm.