Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Broken rocker bolt

Unhappy Broken rocker bolt

I have a '92 Buick LeSabre 3.8 L with a broken rocker bolt on #6 cylinder. Can I drill and easy out the remaining part of the bolt and get away with not removing the head? Should I be reallyconcerned about the cause of the broken bolt? Does this happen often?
    Thanks for your help on this.

Blazerbuddy - If your going to try and drill it out make sure you can drill into the center of the bolt because its easy to damage the cylinder head. Heres a trick for you get a lefthand drillbit. Alot of times the broken bolt will back out when using these with very little effort.

Talking Got it out!!!

Spent several hours drilling with some left hand screw extractor drills from Sears. The bolt wasn't budging even if I jammed the drill bit to the side. I ended up using an easy out and carefully tapping it into the hole and the carefully twisting to removing the bolt. I had to devise a cardboard cover to catch the chips and a hole in it to access the bolt. When I drilled, I had magnets on the cover to pick up chips. I dragged the magnet around the head in case some chips fell around the valve springs. I took a few pics if anyone has any interest.

The local Buick dealer told me the bolt was discontinued. I found a local engine machine shop that ended up giving me a used bolt. I put it all back together, observing the torque specs (which seemed really low), started it, it runs great but now there is a loud tick. No miss, just a tick.

At this point I'm at a loss of what to do. Do I need to pull the rocker cover and run the engine and observe the rockers. Is there a way to test the valves w/o pulling the head?

Thank you again for your help

BB - Glad to see you got it out. You can check the valves by doing a leak down test which uses compressed air and a gauge setup to measure the amount of leakage in a cylinder. The tick sounds like a lifter thats not pumped up. It may clear itself out if not you may need to replace it.