Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1998 Dodge 1/2ton 4X4 front axle shaft U-joint replacement

Default 1998 Dodge 1/2ton 4X4 front axle shaft U-joint replacement

I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 4X4 with the universal joint on the passenger side of the front axle shaft is bad I have a Haynes manual and it does not say to much about replacing this part and i need some information. Is there any help you can give me I have the unit taken down now yet I still can not get the u-joint out. I have removed the steering knuckle ballstud nuts and I have broken both of them free so I can move it but I can not get the assemble to clear the studs. If you could direct me to the information in my Haynes manual maybe I'm just not seeing it and if you could give me some tips I would appreciate it. The manual I have is Dodge Full-Size pick-ups 94-01 manual number 30041.

Thank you very much.

Hi mike 4 work,

The information you need to follow to get your axleshaft out is in Chapter 8, Section 24. You DON'T need to separate the knuckle from yokes on the axle housing. You remove the hub first, then pull the axleshaft out. Once that's done, follow Section 11 in Chapter 8 to replace the U-joint.

Good luck, and thanks for your interest in Haynes manuals!