Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: PT Cruiser 2001 Thermostat Housing Replacement

Default PT Cruiser 2001 Thermostat Housing Replacement

My trusted service station did the brake house replacment and brake work on our 2001 PT cruiser, and looked for our coolant leak. He tells me it is the thermostat housing; it has a leak and needs replacing. He ordered the part for me. I want to install myself

My manual discusses thermostat replacement, and the housing cover, but not the housing itself.

Do I need to remove the intake manifold to replace the housing? It does not look like it....

The housing new in the box, did not come with any gaskets. Did I need to order any new gasket(s) and my trusty mechanic overlooked this?

Should I replace the thermostat rubber o-ring gasket while I am in there too?

Any other precautions, besides draining the coolant befoe hand of course?

John Engel
    St. Albert Canada

john - Remove the thermostat as described in your Haynes manual, then unbolt the housing from the block. There's also a hose you have to disconnect, and you might want to replace it as well. There IS a gasket between the housing and the block, so you'll have to get one of those. Housing-to-block bolt torque = 20 ft-lbs.