Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2004 dodge ram 1500 2wd rear disc rotor change

Cool 2004 dodge ram 1500 2wd rear disc rotor change

So I was changing my brakes and rotors and the front went perfect the manual made it really easy but then when i got to the rear it didn't help. The rotor was suppose to just come off following the manual but it didn't happen, so any suggestions would help! I stumbled across the whole parking brake thing and messed with the little adjustment like the book said but that didnt help either. So I am really lost now and am looking for some help.
    Last edited by airforcewander; 07-29-2008 at 01:46 PM.

and i also forgot to mention i tried the whole rubber mallet thing they weren't budging

Hi airforcewander,

Are there any of those little pressed-metal speed nuts holding the disc onto the wheel studs? If so, cut them off; they're installed on the assembly line to hold the disc to the axle flange (they don't need to be reinstalled). If none are present, it could be a case of rust around the flange. Try spraying some penetrating oil around the center of the disc and around the wheel studs (be sure to clean everything thoroughly with brake system cleaner before putting things back together).

Other than that I don't know what it could be. On 2500 and 3500 models the disc bolts to the hub from the back side, but on the 1500 it should come right off (after the caliper and mounting bracket have been removed).

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Default found the hammer

so i tried everything i tried penetrating lube and banging with a mallet one of my buddies said to take a hammer to it and just tap. Finally after getting frustrated I had to options 1 take it to a dealer in germany which is like 5 hours away or 2 beat the crap out of it and hope it comes off. So I figured why not. I hit the rotor extremely hard several times with the hammer and it came off it was really seized on there. Anywhoo so it is suppose to just come off!

Good morning (here) airforcewander,

Like I said, it's SUPPOSED to come right off! Apparently corrosion was an issue. Anyway, glad you finally got it off.