Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Lincoln Towncar overheating

Unhappy Lincoln Towncar overheating

I have a 1986 Lincoln Towncar and I have removed the thermostate and checked all my hoses and they are connected with no holes radiator was taken out and pressure tested the fan turns and it still overheats and has alot of pressure and the oil engine light comes on right before it heats up loses some pressure what could be the problem

Hi Thurmond,

Sometimes the impeller blades on the water pump erode and cause the pump to not work as it should. This isn't very common, but it can happen.

Is the engine oil level where it should be? Also, what does the oil look like - is it milky? If so, you could have a bad head gasket. A bad head gasket doesn't always cause coolant to leak into the oil, though. You can check for a bad head gasket with the use of a combustion leak detector, which is available at most auto parts stores.

Your vehicle is covered in Haynes manual no. 59010.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi Thurmond,

Sometimes the impeller blades on the water pump erode and cause the pump to not work as it should. This isn't very common, but it can happen.

Is the engine oil level where it should be? Also, what does the oil look like - is it milky? If so, you could have a bad head gasket. A bad head gasket doesn't always cause coolant to leak into the oil, though. You can check for a bad head gasket with the use of a combustion leak detector, which is available at most auto parts stores.

Your vehicle is covered in Haynes manual no. 59010.
    Hi Thurmond look under the oil cap and if you see white around it you blow the cylinder heads.but have the car running and look for any leaks around the waterpump Also change the thermostat
    Last edited by slammedkutty; 07-30-2008 at 04:44 PM.