Haynes Manuals Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Windstar "Generic Electronic Module" and Door ajar

Default Ford Windstar "Generic Electronic Module" and Door ajar

I have a '98 Ford windstar.
    The wiring diagram depicts a "Generic Electronic Module" That has wires that go to each of the door ajar switches.

Where is the "Generic Electronic Module" located?

I want to locate which of my switches is failing.

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi BroncoJoe,

The Generic Electronic Module is located behind the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column. It's a fairly small unit. Looks to be maybe about the size of a wallet or so, perhaps a bit narrower.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I am sure that will be very helpful.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi BroncoJoe,

The Generic Electronic Module is located behind the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column. It's a fairly small unit. Looks to be maybe about the size of a wallet or so, perhaps a bit narrower.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Admin,
    Thanks for the response, but I was not able to find it. Do you have a picture of it?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe19 View Post
    Hi Admin,
    Thanks for the response, but I was not able to find it. Do you have a picture of it?

Do you have a picture of it?

BroncoJoe19,

Sure - email one of our tech service reps at [email]research@haynes.com[/email] and they'll be able to get you one. They'll be back in the office Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    BroncoJoe19,

Sure - email one of our tech service reps at [email]research@haynes.com[/email] and they'll be able to get you one. They'll be back in the office Monday morning.
    This is what they sent me, but I still could not find it, any additional help would be appreciated.

Hi BroncoJoe19,

The callout for the generic electronic module is located right next to the "Front of Vehicle" arrow. Follow the line to the GEM.

If that's not what you meant (meaning you can't find it on your vehicle), there's not much more we can do. That's the only illustration of it we could find.

It might be easier to locate the bad door ajar switch by testing each one individually. When a door or the liftgate is open (or the switch is removed), its switch is closed. When the sliding door is open (or the switch is removed) its switch is open. Also make sure the sliding door contacts are clean and able to complete the circuit.

I don't think that is the schmatic/diagram for a '98 windstar. I pulled the front cover off and took a couple of pictures. According to this diagram the PCM should be to the left of the fuse box, but it is not there. I THINK this is a picture of my PCM, which is about where this diagram says the generic control module should be.

No grouping of wires match what they haynes manual says that they should be for the GEM for the door ajar sensors.
    IsThisPCM.jpg

1998WindstarPCM.jpg

P1010208.jpg

Hi again,

No, the PCM is accessed from the engine compartment, on the passenger's side (see Chapter 6, Section 3). The PCM reference in the illustration is just an electrical connector in the PCM harness (C103).

I think you may have found your GEM. In the photo you sent, it looks like it has three electrical connectors, which would correspond with the illustration (that's what the C233, C234, C289 refer to).

Keep in mind that the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual are circuit diagrams; the wires connected to the GEM are not necessarily in the same connector.