Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Is this strange?

Question Is this strange?

Hello,
    I don't own a Haynes Manual but I want to see if my problem is even fixable through the purchase of one. All of the car guys I know say my problem is very unique and I'd like to know if I can get help with the manual before I buy one. Here is the skinny. I own a 1999 Chrysler Sebring LXI and I'm having an electrical problem. A few days ago I noticed that while my car was parked with the key out of the ignition the brake lights were still on. I thought maybe the pedal was stuck so I pumped it a few times with the car still off but the lights stayed on. No matter what I did those lights would not go off. I'm not one of those completely car illiterate girls so I thought ok well my brake switch just needs replacing, I'll pull the fuse until I can get a new one. When I opened the hood and pulled the fuse for the brake lights(the black one), nothing happened. The lights stayed on. So I pulled fuses until they went off; the parking lamp/stop light fuse(the little yellow one). Still thinking it was my brake switch, I drove with the fuse out for a couple days. Then last night I had to drive somewhere in the dark so I put the fuse back in with the key out of the ignition. The stop lights, the parking lights and my instrument panel lights came on. I got in and started the car then turned on the lights. The headlights came on and the instrument panel got brighter but when I stepped on the brake nothing went on or off. I turned the lights off and took the key out of the ignition but the lights I mentioned before stayed on. I took the fuse out, started the car and turned on the lights. All the afore mentioned lights except the stop lights came on. When I stepped on the brake nothing happened. Not even the collision light comes on without the fuse and when the fuse is in it stays on whether I'm stepping on the brake or not. What is the deal? Is this something I can get a manual for and fix or do I need a higher power than myself? Any information you can provide will be very helpful.

ReeRee75 - First of all it is strange. You will definetly need a higher power to source the short out. It really sounds like you may have a melted wiring harness. No manual will guide you through the process of tracing down the harness to find the problem. We wish you all the best, this could be a tough one.