Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2000 Mercury Sable LS w/ 24v DOHC Duratec

Question 2000 Mercury Sable LS w/ 24v DOHC Duratec

I appreciate the manual, however my engine's rough idling (500 - 800 rpm) (there's no check engine light, ergo no codes). When slowing down, the engined will stay at about 1,100 rpm until I come to a complete stop then the rough idling, car jerking, light flickering kicks in. I know it's a vacuum leak of some sort because there's a hissing sound near the right side of the enging near the air intake, however I can't find it. I have replaced both PCV hoses as they had worn, the air filter is brand new as of yesterday. I do notice a slight gas, but more exhaust smell, when I have the A/C running (in SoCal) when stopped. The smell disepates when I begin to drive and the engine smooths out. I think it may be the EGR valve, which I know I can replace.

So here's my question... I want to replace the PCV valve(s), and possibly the EGR valve, which I will order from Motorcraft but don't know how to do it. The manual just says to remove and has pictures from a 95ish OVC not the DOHC engine that I have. Do I also have to get the vacuum lines from a dealer or should AutoZone carry that?

(Again no sensors are out, nor has the PCM generated any code to cause the IML to illuminate...actually had one garage tell me that I should have them still connect the PCM to their computer for $100 to check because my "IML could be burnt out." I know better than that since the dash lights are on DC current and DC lights last longer than standard AC lights).

If there are any images available, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hi MusicGuy1982,

Ok, I found a good photo of the EGR valve on a DOHC engine. Look on page 2B-6, illustration 5.12; that's the EGR valve, just to the left of the guy's hand.

Vacuum hose is usually purchased from a bulk roll, unless it's a special molded-type hose. Autozone will certainly be able to set you up with vacuum hose, unless it's some special hose, in which case it would probably be a dealer-only item.

As for your MIL - does it come on when you turn the ignition key On, then go out? It's supposed to (that's called a "bulb check"). If it doesn't, it could be burned out. And just so you know, all of the lights in your car run on DC voltage.
    Hope this helps, and thanks for your interest in Haynes!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi MusicGuy1982,

Ok, I found a good photo of the EGR valve on a DOHC engine. Look on page 2B-6, illustration 5.12; that's the EGR valve, just to the left of the guy's hand.

Vacuum hose is usually purchased from a bulk roll, unless it's a special molded-type hose. Autozone will certainly be able to set you up with vacuum hose, unless it's some special hose, in which case it would probably be a dealer-only item.

As for your MIL - does it come on when you turn the ignition key On, then go out? It's supposed to (that's called a "bulb check"). If it doesn't, it could be burned out. And just so you know, all of the lights in your car run on DC voltage.
    Hope this helps, and thanks for your interest in Haynes!
    Sorry for the confusion. I know what the EGR valve looks like and where to find it. I meant how's the PCV valve removed from the DOHC? The IML does light up and go out after I start the engine - it was some rip-off mechanic that said it "might be burnt out." (I know all the lights are DC ).

I did get two hoses fromt he Ford dealer since they were plastic tubing with rubber connectors. I just want to know how to remove the PCV valve, ie twist-and-turn, it doesn't appear to have a way to remove it. The manual didn't specify how to do this.

I also figured AutoZone would sale the vacuum hoses.

Hi again MusicGuy1982,

I checked with the Ford factory service manual and it says to turn the PCV valve 180-degrees to remove it from the oil separator. It didn't say which direction but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.

Good luck!