Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1998 Pont. Sunfire

Default 1998 Pont. Sunfire

Problem Rear window defogger does not work. Voltage at the +side of the window terminal reads anywhere from normal 12to14volts to 5 to 8 volts at times, this is reading the terminal with the wire disconnected. The Haynes manual only tells how to check for broken wire in the glass and assumes you have the voltage. If there is no relay in the system (I suspect a high resistance joint ???) and I don't have any idea whats in the area behind the pushbutton on the dash which could cause this problem, now don't know where to look for the problem.
    Carl 1941

Hi Carl1941,

Fluctuating voltage at the positive side of the heater grid would seem to indicate a poor connection. If this is the only circuit affected, it would probably be in the wiring from the switch/timer to the grid, or in the switch/timer itself.

If you need further help tracing that circuit, contact us at [email]research@haynes.com[/email]. Have your manual with you.

Thank you for using Haynes manuals!

Mike found the problem with the rear defogger. traced the +wire back under the drivers left foot panel, close inspection showed that the wire joined a connecter plug which had a small brown spot. Took the connector apart and the connector was burnt. This is a double sided 4wire plug,so I cut the wires and made a solid connection. Works like a charm. Thanks for the help

Carl1941

Hi Carl 1941,

I'm glad you were able to find the problem and that we were able to be of help.