Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 03 galant timing troubles

Default 03 galant timing troubles

OK guys, heres the short story. I was driving along when my crank sensor went out. The car came to a stop. I used a scanner and found out the problem. Started to change the sensor and realized thet the balancer belt was considerably slack and had shredded debris which probably took out the sensor. I couldn't align everything at tdc because the cam and oil marks line up but the crank and rear balance aren't on the marks. They are both the same distance away from there timing marks. Your book doesn't detail on how to adjust the timing if the cam and crank are out of whack. Since they weren't very far off I removed the timing belt and rotated the balancer belt until the marks lined up. I know that shouldn't be done but I didn't see any other way to do it. Before I cranked the engine I rotated the crank manually and it feels like there might be interference but I don't know. How do I fix this.

I hate to say it but if you feel any kind of interference go back to the the timing belt and start over. These motors will bend valves and damage pistons.