Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Harmonic Balancer

Question Harmonic Balancer

I am replacing my 360 ci in my 79 Dodge maxi van, and when taking the harmonic balancer off the crankshaft, it came off in two pieces---the outer part with the timing marks on it, and the center piece that had to be removed with a pulley removal tool (for lack of a better name). My question is:

Because the harmonic balancer actually filters out the vibrations in the engine, does it need to be reassembled exactly for the correct lineup of timing lines, or am I worrying about it too much?

Thanks for any answers.....the harmonic balancer isnt covered in the book30065 unless it is called something else.

garys1n2 - Sorry to say that the balancer is a one piece unit. You need to replace the balancer it cant be repaired. FYI this is a common problem on the 360.

Okay, so I'm going to have to buy a new harmonic balancer. Thanks for the information....here's another question that I don't see covered in my Haynes manual--

What is the correct name of the part that holds the oil filter on? With the new engine coming in, I am assuming a new engine does not have that part installed, and in case I have to buy a new one, I need to know the name of the part? Thanks for any info!

It should be oil filter adapter or oil filter housing

TYVM admin...your knowledge is amazing!

The oil filter adapter is off the old block, the engine will be shipped Monday to arrive June 9/10....at the present time (and I use this loosely) I have a question about pre-oiling the new engine and the correct procedure for doing so. Most book call for 30W oil, but is that just to clean out the engine of any contamination? Here in Florida, I would think a thicker oil is better, but what do I know? Nevertheless, can you give me information I can copy and paste or print to pre-oil the engine during installation?

In an obscure way, I'm disappointed the Haynes manuals dont include a section for swapping out an engine or transmission (as opposed to a complete rebuild which is included).

But thanks for any info you can give me on the pre-oiling.....ty!

garys1n2 -

To pre-oil the engine you can disconnect the primary (low voltage) wires from the coil and crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes off.

10W-30 oil should be OK for almost all conditions, but if the temps in your area are consistently high, you can run 10W-40 or 10W-50.

Again thanks admin...always appreciated.

I don't have an engine oil light, I have a gauge, so should I crank it til the gauge moderates (stabilizes)? And being in Florida--at the start of the hot season--I will be using 10W-40 after a break in of 10W-30...sound ok?

Sounds good!

Just an update and a suggestion for overheating that might not ever be thought about.....

So I've had my remanufactuered engine in the van about three weeks, and everything forward of the transmission is new.....carb, radiator, fuel and water pumps, etc....but the thing just ran warm (not hot, but not where I wanted it to run), and no matter what I tried (timing, lean and rich, oil change, etc) nothing fixed it until today.

I used to run a three core copper radiator which was about 3 inches thick, and the new one I have is max (1.5 inches aluminum, with one huge row), which made the shroud that fit both of the radiators about two inches farther away from the fan. I bought some aluminum 1"x2" at Home Depot, and made a brace that moves the radiator closer to the fan, thus keeping things a lot cooler. Don't know if this will helpo anyone, but if it helps just one, then my job is done!

Thanks for listening (couldnt move the engine, but I could move the radiator was what I was thinking). LOL!

Just a thought from another view point for a common problem. TY