Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '00 Eclipse Rattling & SES Light

Arrow '00 Eclipse Rattling & SES Light

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse and when I am sitting in the car and shift into park my car will idle like normal, but when I put it into drive or reverse it will rattle, not bad but just some. I have seen some holes near the clock, and then if I push up on the glove compartment it will mostly stop (I bought it used). Anyone know how much it would be to replace that?
    Also, I have the infamous SES light on, it came on after I left the car lot and drove 2 hours to get gas on my way home. Anyway to check and see what the problem is? Is that the code reader that Advance Auto Parts has?

Hi XEclipse00,

I'm not sure what kind of code reader you're referring to, but I'm sure Advance Auto Parts sells an OBD-II code reader (that's what you need). Before you buy one, though, you might want to call the car lot and see if they will accept responsibility for that SES light. I don't know what state you're in, but here in California, vehicles over five years old being sold must pass an emissions test. If a similar law exists where you are, I would think the selling party probably is responsible, in part at least. Check into it.

Noises can be tricky to fix. There are many different kinds of products available at most auto parts stores that can be used to silence annoying squeaks and rattles - sprays, puttys, foam, padded double-sided tape, etc. You might want to experiment with something like that before buying new dash components. If replacing interior parts is what you decide you have to do, you'll have to get them from a dealer parts department or an auto salvage yard.

Oh - your Eclipse is covered in Haynes manual no. 68031. It will show you how to extract any stored trouble codes (and what the code[s] mean).

Good luck with your "new" car!