Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '97 Olds Cutlass Frt strut replacement

Question '97 Olds Cutlass Frt strut replacement

Chilton's manual 28690 - '97-'00 Malibu / Cutlass repair manual - published by Haynes, so I figure this is the site where I should ask the following question.

Section 8 - pages 8-5 and following do not describe the front suspension on my '97 Old Cutlass Supreme 3.1L V6. I have a strut assembly that incorporates the lower ball joint, tie rod end, steering knuckle, spindle, etc.
    The section in the manual portrays a "standard" arrangement of these components.
    The specific question is: Can you email me a more appropriate set of instructions to remove and repair the strut assembly?
    Some details about what I'm looking for:
    1) To remove the strut, I would assume is must be removed from the spindle. What is the proper sequence of steps to do this? i.e. I'm wondering how to get the half-shaft out of the spindle - I would guess removing the strut top mounting bolts would free up the movement and allow the strut (with spindle) to be pulled off the axle shaft.

2) The strut assembly uses a cartridge. How is this removed and replaced?

Much Thanks for any assistance,
    Fixit52
    Last edited by fixit52; 10-19-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Hello fixit52,

I'm looking at a copy of Chilton book no. 28690, Malibu/Cutlass 1997-2000, page 8-5, and it shows the proper front end of this vehicle, MacPherson struts, etc. The procedure for removing the strut begins on that page. It's not necessary to remove the driveaxle to get the strut out. If you do want to remove the driveaxle (also known as a halfshaft) that procedure begins on page 7-6.

If you feel your book is defective, you can send it to us (the Newbury Park address on the title page) and we'll send you a new one. If you need some additional help with a procedure, you can call our tech line at 1-805-498-6703 (have your manual ready when you call).

Thanks

Thumbs down Futher assistance required

On the bottom lower right corner on page 8-5 - Figure 14 "Loosen the strut-to-steering knuckle mounting bolts". Do you have this picture in the manual you are looking at (Do you have a different manual?)? There are NO BOLTS to loosen on the strut on the '97 Olds Cutlass Supreme I'm looking at.

The steering knuckle is incorporated into a large strut housing, welded to the strut tube, that extends in place of the steering knuckle mounting point shown in Figure 14. The lower ball joint is riveted to this same lower strut housing. The pictures in the book do not look at all like the strut on the car. No bolts, shown in pictures, are in the same places.

I'm 57 years old and have worked on my cars for the last 35. I own 10 Haynes / Chilton manuals - RAV4, Cavalier, BMW, Taurus, Saturn, Olds 88, Mazda 626, etc. I know the front end assembly as pictured in the '97 Cutlass manual... it is the front end components on these other cars.

Please take me seriously when I tell you the strut on the car is nothing like pictured in the book. The front end assembly on the '97 Olds Cutlass Supreme is NOT composed of these "standard" components.

If you have a different manual, please let me know. I need a accurate description to remove & repair the strut that is on the car.

Best Regards,
    fixit52
    Last edited by fixit52; 10-19-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Default Front strut

Hi again, fixit52,

I know what the problem is - you have the wrong manual. Book #28690 covers the Cutlass, but not the Cutlass Supreme, which is built on a different platform. Chilton book number 28380 covers the Cutlass Supreme, among other models - but I looked and it does NOT illustrate the type of strut on your vehicle. Haynes manual #38010 covers your vehicle as well, and does a much better job, I might add. The Haynes manual shows how to replace the strut cartridge as an in-vehicle operation, while the Chilton book does not. As a whole, suspension is covered much better in the Haynes book.

I hope this clears things up, and I'm sorry about the confusion.

I talked to Rob in your research department, and he told me that I needed to buy Chilton Manual 28682 " Lumina, Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass Supreme 1988-96". I purchased this manual and it DOES have the same struts as my '97. Rob implied that maybe my vehicle may have been an early '97 with '96 parts. (My local Murray's Auto Parts Store allowed me to return the incorrect '97 Olds Cutlass Chiltons manual, so no harm done.)

On Rob's suggestion I went to a local Chevy (Olds are not built anymore) dealer parts department. You are correct, in 1997 the Cutlass and Cutlass Supreme are 2 entirely different Olds platforms. I don't recall the exact letters but 2 different letters; "N" body vrs. "W" body or something like that. The dealer parts department told me that the '97 Cutlass Supreme was the same platform as the '96 Cutlass supreme. (Rob's suggestion to buy the '96 manual was confirmed.)

I thought the difference between Cutlass and Cutlass Supreme was appointments / features on the vehicle... I was wrong... who would have thought??

Like Arseneo Hall used to say, "Things that make you go Hmmmmm."

Mystery solved,
    Best Regards,

I picked up my Haynes 38010 DieselGalaxy. Here's the link: [***]http://dieselgalaxy.com/product.php?productid=47541?tw2[/***]