Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: check engine,VSC,trac/off

Default check engine,VSC,trac/off

I had the engine,vsc,and trac/off light to come on while i was driving.So i took car to lexus dealer to find out problem they said it was the MAF.So i went to parts store and order new mass airflow sensor and installed it.Lights in dash went off for about a week only to come back on.When to auto supply and they hooked up computer and said that if i didn't clear lights off with computer so they cleared lights off with computer.Everything worked great for about a week and lights came on again.What do you think could still be the problem.Any thing would help at this point.My car is a 2001 lexus rx300 with 128,000 miles.Please email me @ [email]jwsharpe@excite.com[/email]

Hi jwsharpe1,

We can't really diagnose problems from a remote location, but it would be helpful to know what trouble code was set. If you let us know, maybe we could steer you in the right direction.

I have the trouble code it is P1130

Hi again jwsharpe1,

Not sure why the dealer told you the MAF was bad. Code P1130 is "A/F sensor circuit range/performance malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)." The air/fuel sensors are essentially the oxygen sensors that are threaded into the exhaust manifolds. The code doesn't necessarily mean the sensor itself is bad, but it doesn't mean it isn't bad, either. Other things could cause it to think the air/fuel ratio is too lean or rich, like an intake air leak, vacuum leak, fuel injection problem, etc. To try to diagnose a problem like this without a scan tool would be like guessing! You might want to ask the dealer why they told you it was a MAF sensor code.

If you want to tackle this problem by yourself, I recommend that you obtain a copy of our "Haynes OBD-II and Electronic Engine Management Systems" Techbook.

Good luck with whatever route you chose to take care of this problem.

Thanks for tip i have obd2 code reader and that obd-11 guide that you told me about, Just looking up the code p1130 it was just what you said but, with one different on sensor 1 instead of sensor 2. after looking at all i do think it is an oxygen sensor on the number 1 cylinder side and the upstream but, it is the first sensor or the second.Call lexus dealer and ask question about light and he said that most of the time the check engine light was an oxygen sensor. So what do you think and which sensor should i try. Sensor are about 200.00 each.

jwsharpe1,

As I stated before, it could be a sensor but it could also be something "fooling" the sensor. That's why it's important to make a positive diagnosis - so you don't waste that $200.00. On the other hand, these sensors don't last forever and it's not uncommon for them to act up intermittently.

And yes, it IS bank 1, sensor 1. The information I gave you was from the Lexus factory service manual, which was wrong! The manual for the following year was issued with an amended page.