Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1997 Jauguar XJ6 trans filter change

Default 1997 Jauguar XJ6 trans filter change

I haev a 1997 xj6, which there is not a manual for by Haynes. I am wondering if you can advise the steps to taking the trans pan off. There is a large fitting at the front of the pan connecting to a trans pipe , that is difficult to get off. Do you disconnect the threaded fitting before taking the pan bolts out.Which way does this thread on/off Do you have any pics of this? Would the 1990-96 book work for this?

Thanks

Hi Garnerb,

Since our Jaguar XJ6 manual only goes through 1994, I can't recommend that you use it. However, the basics of changing the trans fluid and filter are the same. The dipstick tube nut has regular (right-hand) threads, and has to be unscrewed before the pan bolts are removed. And yes, that fitting nut can be very difficult to loosen.

Smile Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for the note. This helps, I was wondering why I could not find a manual for this car. I wanted to make sure if I needed to remove the dipstick nut first.

Thanks,
    Brad

Hi,

I was succesfull in getting the trans filter and gasket changed. I have a question on fluid level. The Jag dealer said 4.6QT. I did not drain the converter completely. I added almost 4 qt Hot fluid level is at the top of the HOT mark on the trans dipstick. Cold level is 1/4 upd the dipstick. There is not a cold level mark on this stick. Any advice or info from other Jag data? The check engine light popped on as well. Woudl this be common for the trans pan and filter removal? Will this reset ina few 100 miles?
    Last edited by Garnerb; 04-21-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Garnerb - The level sounds fine but you really should not set a code after the procedure.

Default 1997 jaguar XJ6

Thanks for the trans level reply. I asked about the Check Engine light, because I replaced the knock sensor, and the Check Engine reset after driving 140 miles. This was done by the dealer.

Thanks,