Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: ASD relay on '96 Dodge Caravan

Default ASD relay on '96 Dodge Caravan

My '96 Dodge caravan does not want to start. I found out that the ASD relay keeps an contact open, which prevent the coil and injectors from getting voltage (Haynes manual 30011 - Ch. 6).

According to the manual, when the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor have a problem providing a signal to the PCM, it provides a signal to the relay to cutt-off power.

Since the 3.0 V6 does not have a crankshaft sensor, is it safe to say that the camshaft sensor is bad?? It cost $70 and is hard to find so I want to make sure I have all my options.

Also, the van has not ran for 4 months but has fuel in the tank. Can that cause a problem??

Thanks

Hi Alwaysdutch,

Have you checked for any stored trouble codes, fuel pressure and spark? Make sure you do those things first, before you start replacing parts.

If you make those checks and nothing obvious turns up, contact one of our tech service reps at [email]research@haynes.com[/email].

Thanks again for using Haynes manuals.

yeah, I have no spark. That is the reason i started looking at why and where. I know that the coil doesn't get any voltage. That is the reason I started looking at the ASD relay.

I did found that the fuelpump relay will double click when I turn on the key while the other relay only click once.

I have to get this van running because it is planned to be used on Sunday for a trip.

Alwaysdutch,

The 3.0L V6 engine actually does have a crankshaft position sensor - it's mounted on the transaxle bellhousing. The camshaft position sensor on the 3.0L engine is inside the distributor.

Once again, check for trouble codes. A failed cam or crank sensor, or a fault in the ASD relay circuit should set a trouble code.

Thanks Admin!! Actually, we found the sensor opening and after installing a sensor, the van works.

Hwoever, in your manual (30011) you mention that the "3.0" version "DOES NOT HAVE" a crankshaft sensor, which threw me off trying to solve the problem.

Also, the manual fails to mention to tell people that when you remove the upper bell-housing bolts, the main cooling pipe for the engine becomes off, which causes coolant to come out.

Other than that, all is cool....

Good job, Alwaysdutch!

But - could you please tell me where in the manual it says that the 3.0L V6 does not have a crankshaft position sensor? I'm not seeing it. I see where it says the 3.0L doesn't have a traditional camshaft position sensor (it's located in the distributor instead), but I can't find the reference about no crank sensor.

Anyway, looks like you'll be going on your trip Sunday. Drive carefully!

I will look it up in the book and let you know where it talks about this matter. I believe it is in chapter 6 or 4 but as soon as I find it this evening, I will reply to this thread.

I don't try to critisize the manual, rather provide feedback as I have four manuals for different cars.

Rectification: I don't seem to find it now where it mentioned where the sensor was not needed so at this point I assume that the error was made on my end....