Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1995 Volvo 850 repair suggestions

Default 1995 Volvo 850 repair suggestions

I have a '95 Volvo 850, and am experiencing severe fuel consumption and hesitation during take off upon startup and while idling. It feels like a 'miss'. I have put 1/2 tank of gas in car and it burns 1/4 of tank of gas to go 20 miles one way.
    I changed all 5 spark plugs, from what they were to platinum 2's.

Now don't have as bad a hesitation as before but still experience the very severe fuel consumption. I'm putting $20 a day in gas just to make it from home to work and back.

I was considering changing the wireset and distributor cap as well but don't know if that's going to solve my fuel consumption problem.

Do i need to look in a different direction? Maybe say at the fuel pump?

lost and confused.....

Hi yonupe,

Yes, start looking in a different direction. Don't go throwing parts at it hoping to get lucky - that can get expensive. Sounds like there's something causing your fuel injection system to dump too much fuel into the engine. You should check to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the ECU. See Chapter 5, Section 2, and Chapter 4, Section 10 of your Haynes manual. You do have one, right? If not, get one - it'll guide you through the process of checking for trouble codes - it's Haynes manual no. 97050.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!