Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: which year is my van

Default which year is my van

my dodge caravan title(bought used) says 1997, but manual 30011 on page 0-6 states it is 1998. my vin on 8th digit is 3, 10th digit is V.

is it a misprint in the manual or it does not cover my van?

i can email u my vin if needed.

TIA
    TIA
    ======================
    1997 Dodge Grand Caravan, V6, 3.0L, 200,000miles

pxl1835 - Here is the proper VIN breakdown, you have a 1997
    VIN code V is a 1997
    code W is a 1998
    code X is a 1999
    thanks for bringing this matter to our attention.

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a place online somewhere we can look up for the misprints in the manuals if any?

On page 1-20 of 30011 on Replacement for 3.0L it states:
    'If you are replacing the air conditioner compresser belt on 3.0L engines,
    you have to remove alternator and power steering belt first because of the way they are arranged on the crankshaft pulley.'

By looking at my Dodge grand caravan belts under the hood on the passenger side, looks like air conditioner belt can be removed without removing alternator and power steering surpentine belt.

Not sure if I am missing something or misprint in the manual? kindly clarify please?

Also what's the proper way to uninstall and install air conditioning belt properly tentioned?

TIA
    TIA
    ======================

Hi again pxl1835,

The project vehicle we used for that project had the 3.8L engine, so we had to rely on the Chrysler factory service manual for the 3.0L engine specifics. Their drawing of the belt configuration shows the A/C compressor belt behind the alternator/power steering belt. Apparently that's not the case; thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The belt is tensioned by an adjuster bolt on an idler pulley mounted above and between the crank pulley and the A/C compressor. Loosen the nut in the center of the idler pulley, then loosen the bolt to slacken the belt. When the new belt is installed, tighten the bolt to apply tension, then tighten the nut in the center of the pulley to lock it in place. You should be able to deflect the belt about 1/4-inch when you press firmly on it.

Thanks, and I hope this helps.

This is great. Thank you a ton admin for all your replies. I have another question about my 97 dodge GC, by the way all my questions are about my only 97 dodge 3.0 GC. I bought my used van about 3 years ago and recently
    I came cross that EATX SHUTDOWN RELAY in the PDC is not present all along.

Is the EATX relay supposed to be present?
    if yes to above question, how/where to find such relay part number?
    I even called one dodge dealer part store, the assissant on the shift did not find the part listed. I also went to autozone, advance auto parts and pep boys looked up their system, none of them has this item listed.

Also what does this relay do?

TIA
    TIA
    ======================