Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: short cut to installion a inteak

Default short cut to installion a inteak

I was wondering what’s the quickest way to install a holly intake im doing it on a 343v8 4bbl curb
    Last edited by slammedkutty; 03-29-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Hi again SK,

There's really no "shortcut" - here's what you do:

Wait until the engine is cool, then drain the coolant.
    Take the old manifold off.
    Clean the mating surfaces on the cylinder heads and the ridges on the block.
    Install new gaskets and apply some sealant on the block ridges.
    Put the new manifold on and tighten the bolts evenly to the specified torque.
    Put the carburetor on and connect the fuel line (and any other hoses).
    Refill the cooling system.
    Fire it up and tune it so it runs nice!

Oh, I forgot - get a Haynes manual for the car first! All this info will be in there! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi again SK,

There's really no "shortcut" - here's what you do:

Wait until the engine is cool, then drain the coolant.
    Take the old manifold off.
    Clean the mating surfaces on the cylinder heads and the ridges on the block.
    Install new gaskets and apply some sealant on the block ridges.
    Put the new manifold on and tighten the bolts evenly to the specified torque.
    Put the carburetor on and connect the fuel line (and any other hoses).
    Refill the cooling system.
    Fire it up and tune it so it runs nice!

Oh, I forgot - get a Haynes manual for the car first! All this info will be in there! Good luck!

Okay thanks for all the info.I will try in do this job how many hours do you think it will take me Im still learing all my bolts.Plus I will have to find TDC. before i remove my inteak.

Hi SK,

Generally, intake manifold removal and installation labor times range from 2 to 4 hours. Keep in mind that's for a pro mechanic. Cleaning the mating surfaces of the heads can sometimes be the hardest part! Don't worry about the time factor - the most important thing is that you do a good job and learn everything you can from the experience. Since you're installing an aftermarket manifold, the tuning factor will come into play, which could make the job take longer.

I'm not real familiar with the 343 V8 - it's a 60's era AMC, right? So we probably don't have a manual for whatever vehicle it's in. Does the distributor pass through the intake manifold or interfere with removal of the manifold? If not, then there's no need to find TDC, since the distributor wouldn't have to come out.

Let us know how it turns out . . .

Hi SK,

Generally, intake manifold removal and installation labor times range from 2 to 4 hours. Keep in mind that's for a pro mechanic. Cleaning the mating surfaces of the heads can sometimes be the hardest part! Don't worry about the time factor - the most important thing is that you do a good job and learn everything you can from the experience. Since you're installing an aftermarket manifold, the tuning factor will come into play, which could make the job take longer.

I'm not real familiar with the 343 V8 - it's a 60's era AMC, right? So we probably don't have a manual for whatever vehicle it's in. Does the distributor pass through the intake manifold or interfere with removal of the manifold? If not, then there's no need to find TDC, since the distributor wouldn't have to come out.

Let us know how it turns out . . .
    well yes its an era 1968 SST AMC Ambassado. Im trying to get experience in building a mild hotrod.I basicailly have all the time I need, because its my car and not my daily driver though.what sizes ft lbs should i bolt back the inteak

Hi SK,

Well, you're in luck - we have an old "Motor's" manual in our library - they give a torque spec of 40 to 45 ft-lbs for the intake manifold bolts on the AMC 343.

When you tighten them, do it in two or three stages. Start with the bolts in the center, then work outward in a criss-cross pattern.

Hi SK,

Well, you're in luck - we have an old "Motor's" manual in our library - they give a torque spec of 40 to 45 ft-lbs for the intake manifold bolts on the AMC 343.

When you tighten them, do it in two or three stages. Start with the bolts in the center, then work outward in a criss-cross pattern.

SK - That looks clean!

SK - That looks clean!
    took me 4days to get it that clean,I love doing serivces work for myself i hade to tight all the bolts before i pressured washed it