Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Caravan Parking Lights Won't Shut Off

Default Caravan Parking Lights Won't Shut Off

Well...this is the latest in the Chrysler electrical problems for me. The other day, after shutting the van down, we noticed that the Parking Lights were still on (both front and rear). The switch was turned off but the lights stayed on. I waited for an hour and they didn't go off automatically. Pulled the 40 amp parking light fuse....But even with the fuse out...the lights were still on. Then pulled out the Parking Light Relay as well, and they still remained on. I checked continuity on the headlight switch in accordance with the haynes manual connector diagram...and the switch is functioning normally.

When I had the switch disconnected, I checked downstream on the wiring harness and got a semiconductive reading...but that could just be the circuitry of the computer.

As it stands, the only way I've been able to turn these lights off is by disconnecting the battery.

Any clue where I can look next

Hi John,

I don't know what year your Caravan is, but I grabbed an '02 manual and checked out the circuit. There is an "integrated power module" in the circuit, but it seems like removing the parking light relay would cut off power to the parking light portion of it. We'll be out of the office until Monday, so get back to us and tell us the year of your vehicle and maybe we can look into this a little deeper. Or, if you figure it out, let us know what you found.

Happy Easter!

Thanks! Sorry about that. It's a 2000 Grand Caravan. Have a great Easter yerself!

Hey John,

I looked in the '00 factory manual and the body control module is part of the circuit. With the parking light relay removed, try pulling the no. 1 fuse (10A) in the junction block. That fuse is in between the body control module and the parking lights. If the lights go out, I'd say the body control module is most likely the culprit (no guarantee, though). Like I said before, you'd think that by pulling the parking lamp relay that would cut off power to that circuit, but you know how these computers and modules can be - something goes wrong inside and there's no telling what's going to happen!

Thanks!!

Well....I gave that a try but it was a no go. Then I got the thought in my head....Since pulling the fuse won't shut the lights off, maybe there's a short between this circuit and some other "hot at all times" circuit. So I starting pulling every fuse and relay in the box, one at a time. Ends up that pulling the EBL fuse finally killed the parking lights.

Checking around, I found that the EBL is the Rear Window Defogger...Is that correct?

Anyway...It took the parking light problem away and they work normally now. The problem still exists though and I have to find the short, otherwise, I don't have a EBL circuit. Don't really feel like tearing all the wiring harnesses out but I gotta find this short.

Good morning John,

I can't find any reference to "EBL" anywhere in the factory manual - all the fuses are referred to by number. I did find that the fuse in the circuit to the rear window defogger also protects the circuit to the Daytime Running Lights/flasher module. It also feeds the Controller Anti-Lock Brake unit.

Contact one of our tech service reps at [email]research@haynes.com[/email], give them all of your info (vehicle, manual no. you're using, and your email address) and they might be able to help.

Been a few days since I've had a chance to look at this. Pulling that fuse kinda made momma happy so the "emergency" sorta died out. I've checked the flashers and ABS and all seems to function normally. I may be wrong, but I've read that the Daytime Running Light module is a Canadian option that may not be present on this vehicle. Regardless, I'll send off the email as you suggest. Thanks for your help!!