Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2002 Chrysler 3.5L Running rough

Default 2002 Chrysler 3.5L Running rough

I have a 2002 Intrepid with a 3.5L engine. It was running rough at idle or low rpm's, had no power and you could smell gas in the oil. It was really eating gas too.

It was giving codes: 300, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355 and 356.

I asked my mechanic for help and he directed me to chan.ge the plugs, ignition wires (coils) and if that doesn't help, call him back.

I changed the plugs, the old ones were really fouled and you can smell gas on them.

Then I cleared the codes and took it for a drive. The power was back, but the poor idle at low rpm's remains, but not as bad as before.

I ran a can of injector cleaner thru half a tank of gas then put premium in.

I also changed the oil due to the gas smell.

It is running better, but not perfect still rough at idle. Atfter a drive of 8km (5miles), the check engine light begins to flash, but the computer does not store any codes.

The dealer wants $88 each for ignition coils, so I'm not to excited about spending $530 to blindly replace the set. I can get Eclhlin ones for $65 at NAPA but that's still $390.

Is there a way to test them before replacing them? I guess the dealer can do it, but I don't want to spend $90/hr for a tech to just test.

Is there any suggestions?

Hi Ralor,

Those codes are for the ignition coil circuits (all 6 of them). It seems strange that all of the coils would fail in the same way at the same time. I would do some more diagnostics before I replaced any coils. This could be a ground problem for the coil circuits or some other wiring/connection-related problem.

Is the fuel smell gone?

Be sure to get Haynes manual 25026, which will help you with your diagnosis and repair.

Thank you for your interest in Haynes manuals!