Haynes Manuals Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Taurus

Question Ford Taurus

Where is the exact location of the vehicle speed sensor on this car? Parts around it. 1999 ford taurus
    Last edited by oilers3kids@hotmail.com; 09-25-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Hi [email]oilers3kids@hotmail.com[/email]: Have you purchased a Haynes manual covering your vehicle? The information you requested about the vehicle speed sensor should be included in the manual. You should look for manual #36075.

If you have any further difficulties while using the manual, please feel free to contact us at: [email]research@haynes.com[/email].

I have the manual and it does say and show a picture but i can not locate it on my car. Do you have to go from under the car, telling me the parts around it would help. Thanks

Hello [email]oilers3kids@hotmail.com[/email]:
    The 3.0 L uses two speed sensors both on the transaxle. The output shaft speed sensor (OSS) is located on the top of the transaxle just past the dipstick.

The turbine shaft speed sensor (TSS) is located on the left end of the transaxle (If you remove the left front wheel, you can see it through the wheel well).

If you need more help, please contact us at [email]research@haynes.com[/email] and we'll be glad to assist you.

Default OSS vs TSS

I have a 99 Windstar with OBDII code P0720 - Output speed sensor circuit malfunction. I have a Haynes manual for this vehicle (36097): this code isn't on the list. In fact, I cannot find this sensor anywhere in the manual! To make matters more confusing, Your reply to a previous post described locations for both a OSS and a TSS on a Taurus. Another forum stated that on the Windstar, the OSS and the TSS are the same thing - it's just called a TSS (Turbine Shaft Sensor) on the Windstar! Either way, I have gathered that this sensor is on the end of the transmission, near the left front wheel - I'm just not sure if it's on top or on the side, nor what procedure is for replacement. Any clarification would be helpful.
    Last edited by don777; 03-31-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Hi don777,

Code P01720 = Insufficient input from Output Shaft Speed sensor.

The sensor is located on the top of the transaxle case, on the right (passenger's) side. There's a heat shield that has to be removed, as well as a small cover over the sensor. And no, it's not the same thing as the Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) sensor - that's located on the left side of the transaxle and is accessed through the left wheel well.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your reply but , unfortunately, it doesn't help. What you are describing sounds like what the manual explains to locate and access the Vehicle Speed Sensor (code P0500). The OBDII code I'm getting reads P0720 "Output Speed Sensor Cicuit Fault". I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to get clear on conflicting and missing info. Of course I could just go to the dealer and ask for an OSS - then find one to match it on the car!

don777 - 99, 3.0L engine uses the output speed sensor. It is commonly called just a vehicle speed sensor. According to the Ford factory manual your vehicle uses an output spped sensor and turbine shaft speed sensor. The output shaft speed sensor is the one that seta the P0720 code.

Is the same true for the 3.8?

don777 - The 3.8L engine only uses the Output Shaft Speed Sensor (OSS).