Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '93 Ford F150 starting problem

Hybrid View

Default '93 Ford F150 starting problem

I think the starter may be going bad, but I want to get y'alls opinion. The last couple days I've had a couple of occasions when starting my truck it just clicked but when I turned the key off and turned it again, it turned over and started. Does that sound like the starter to you? The engine seems to turn over fine though. I think the starter may have a bad spot. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
    Cowboy

Hi cowboy,

Provided the battery is healthy and fully charged, yes, that sounds like a bad starter or starter solenoid. You can verify this by having someone turn the key while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If it just clicks but then cranks when you tap on it, it's wearing out.

Yes, I already took care of it. It was the starter. The one I bought also turned out to be bad, had to get a refund and buy one at another parts store.

Thanks,
    Cowboy

Hi Cowboy,

That could be. Intermittent problems can be hard to track down, but if you can have a friend tap on the starter sometime when it only "clicks," then it cranks when it is tapped, you know the starter is the problem.