Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '93 Ford F150 with AOD tranny sitcks when engine is cold

Default '93 Ford F150 with AOD tranny sitcks when engine is cold

Hello Haynes,
    Yep you guessed it, it's Cowboy with yet another problem. My '93 Ford F150 with AOD transmission has been sticking pretty bad when the engine is cold, once the engine warms up to normal operating temperature it shifts great. I have an idea that the problem is the valves are sticking or dirty. I just purchased your techbook on Ford Automatic transmissions # 10355 today. It talks about disassembly assembly of the AOD but can the valve body be removed and replaced with the transmission still in the vehicle? The manual shows it with the tranny removed. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Cowboy

Hi Cowboy,

No, you don't have to remove the transmission to get the valve body out. It's just shown that way in the Techbook because it was part of the overhaul procedure.

Before going to the trouble of removing the valve body, you might want to try just changing the fluid and filter.

Yeah, I had to have the transmission overhauled a few years ago and the guy that rebuilt it said that the cause of the tranny going out was because the torque converter blew up. He said when that happened it really made a big mess inside there. So your reply has got me to thinking that there could be a bunch of trash from that torque converter in the filter. I'm also considering fixing the problem by either installing shift kit or a high performance valve body what do you think? I'll try your suggestion first.
    Thanks for your help,
    Cowboy