Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '93 Ford F150 won't start in park

Default '93 Ford F150 won't start in park

Hello Haynes, it's me again with yet another problem. My '93 Ford F150 seems have trouble starting when in park over the last several weeks. Sometimes I can pull the shift lever back and up with one hand and turn the ignition with the other hand and it will start but that dosen't always work. When that dosen't work, I shift it into neutral and it will start. When I park the truck I have to really pull the shift lever up into park with a lot of force to make sure it is in park; then when I shut the engine off I try to restart it to see for sure if it's going to start. I replaced the neutral safety switch yesterday evening but the problem still exists. A few years ago the shifter tube broke, and I had a professional auto technician replace it, so I'm wondering could something be out of adjustment with the shifter tube. Please help it's driving me nuts. My truck has the AOD transmission with the 5.0L engine.

Hi Cowboy,

Go to chapter 7B in your manual, Section 3, and try adjusting the shift linkage (cable). If that doesn't work, go to section 10 or 11, as applicable, and adjust the manual lever position sensor or neutral start switch. If there is still a problem, your shift cable might be worn out.

Let us know what happens . . .

Thanks for your help. Yeah, I've also given some thought to the possiblity of the shifter linkage being out of adjustment as well and I've done a lot of looking at the chapter and section you mentioned as to the procedure of adjusting it. The manual lever postion sensor covered in the manual is for E40D transmissions only and the neutral start switch according to the manual is for C4, C5, & C6 only, my truck has the AOD tranny. I guess that means adjusting the linkage and/or replacement of the cable. Any other ideas?

Oh, right - the Park/Neutral Position switch on the AOD isn't adjustable. Try adjusting the cable - I'll bet that takes care of it.

Okay, I'll try adjusting the cable and see what happens. Just wondering why it would be out of adjustment. I guess it just happens over time? Hope I don't have to replace the cable. Thanks for your help, you've been great!

Thank you so very much,
    Cowboy