Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Question on driver side and rear engine mounts on 97 camry

Hybrid View

Default Question on driver side and rear engine mounts on 97 camry

Pleasant day to all the Haynes techs. I am requesting your knowledge here. I have manual 92007 and am working on my 97 camry 4 cylinder. I have replaced my passenger side and front engine mounts, they were both cracked. I need to replace the last 2: driver side trans mount and rear mount. the bolts holding the driver side trans mount to the transaxle are impossibly close to the engine cradle. its a very tight reach to access them. do I need to raise up the transaxle a substantial amount in order to get at those bolts? or or do u recommend I loosen the engine cradle bolts and lower the cradle to get clearance to remove the mount fasteners? and as for the rear mount, any ideas on how to remove that top mounting nut? seem like I need to loosen one or more mounts to raise up the engine enough to get the old rear mount out. your input is kindly appreciated. thanks.

Hi Grendal,

The factory service manual does not give any specifics on this, except for a drawing of the left-side mount (four bolts securing it to the transaxle). As for the rear mount, you might have to use a long extension and get that nut from above. You will have to raise the engine slightly to get it out, and that might require loosening or unbolting the left mount. Since you're doing both, unbolt the left one first, then replace the rear mount.
    Sorry if this isn't very helpful, but it's the best I can do working from these illustrations.

that was quite helpful actually, any input u guys can offer me is always appreciated. i love to pick the haynes tech's brains thanks for the input, the rear mount seems tough but i think if i raise the engine high enough to clear the top stud as well as the lower studs on the mount itself, i can have just enough room to twist it out without having to remove any other stuff (like the driveaxle).