Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '93 Ford F150 making a grinding or rubbing noise

Default '93 Ford F150 making a grinding or rubbing noise

Hello Haynes,
    It's me again with yet another problem. I'm having a problem with my '93 Ford F150 making a grinding or rubbing noise when stopping or slowing down to turn etc. I also hear it at times when backing up. The problem seems to be intermittent because it doesn't happen all the time. I can go 3 or 4 days or sometimes a week or more without hearing it and then it'll make that noise again. Sometimes it'll still make the noise for a minute after take off. I'm thinking I may have a brake caliper dragging or sticking, but I don't know. Any suggestions? Please help, any help would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Cowboy

Hi cowboy,

That's a possibility, but you're going to have to pull the wheels and look around a bit to see what's going on. Does the truck pull to one side? If so, check the front brake on that side. Unfortunately, that's about all I can suggest (can't really diagnose a noise over the internet!).

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Hello Haynes thanks for the reply, no it does not seem to be pulling to one side. I've also heard the noise when taking off from a dead stop at times as well, that's what got me thinking about the possibilty of a brake caliper dragging. But it only does it for a minute or so then the noise stops. I've tried a few times to see if I can get it to mimic the problem with no success. Sometimes it does it with the wheels turned but there again I can't get it to mimic the problem. I thought it might be a tire rubbing but have found no signs of it. I read on another website that the the brake rotors can sometimes swell from heat and rub against the backing plate so I'll check that as well.

P.S. I don't know what y'all did but I would like to commend you doing a great job with getting rid of all the spam that was on this site previously. Thanks again. I'll check the calipers and the rotors.

Keep in mind that probably 95-percent of automotive "advice" you'll find on the internet is completely wrong. You might have a backing plate that has been damaged and dragging on the rotor, but your rotor isn't going to swell up when it's hot and rub on it. Once you do some poking around I'm sure you'll find the source.

Oh, that spam! It continues to be a problem, but it is now filtered, and legitimate users must first be cleared before their posts make it to the message board. Thanks for being patient!

Hello haynes,
    Okay I'll keep that in mind. One possibilty I've thought of too is worn wheel bearings so I'll check them as well. It just seems strange to me that this is an intermittent problem. It seems to me that with all the possiblities I've listed on this site it would be either a continous noise or it would occur every time I apply the brakes. Wouldn't you think so? Thnks for your help.