Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 94 Plymouth Acclaim SBEC

Default 94 Plymouth Acclaim SBEC

Have v6 Acclaim. Alternator went and car ran off battery till power went too low to run motor. I put in new alt. and now rad fan and a/c clutch do not engage. The canister purge solenoid buzzes as well once motor warms up. I tested rad fan and it runs when jumped, jumping at temp. sensor does nothing.When I did diagnostic on it I got codes 12,33,31,22,and 51. According to the manual I can discount 12 and 51,they're for the standby memory,which signals because the battery was disconnected , and the O2 sensor,which is another issue. 33 indicates a problem in a/c clutch relay circuit,31 is problem in canister relay circuit and 22 says the current to coolant sensor is too high or too low.
    Was the SBEC damaged by running car off battery till it died,as all these circuits are controlled by it? Or am I missing something? We've had the car for years and this is the first time it's gone bad. I'd appreciate any help in this.

Hi Robert J,

I can't find any diagnostic help in any of our resources that addresses this problem, but I don't think the SBEC would've been damaged by running until the battery died. Did you by any chance jump start it with a battery charger's "boost" function? That's been known to damage electronic components. Other than that, not sure. Of course, check all of the fuses and all connections around where you worked. I hate to throw parts at a car to see if that fixes the problem, but it might be worth a trip to an auto salvage yard and pick up an SBEC to see if that does the trick.