Haynes Manuals Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knocking

Default knocking

When trying to start my car I hear a loud knocking sound. What could cause this? I also feel it under my foot were the brake pedal is. I also read about the main and rod bearings failure in my repair manual how do I go about more diagnosed then ripping the motor out how can I tell by flushing the engine oil out what colors should I look for if it is my crank or if Iím having lifter problems

slammedkutty - It sounds like you're new at this so understand there can be many thing that could cause this - carbon on the piston tops, bad rod or main bearings, stuck wrist pin, exhaust pushed up against the floor board to a cracked flywheel. Try using a stethoscope or long screwdriver placed against the block and listen around the block and on both sides. Where does the sound come from? If you hear the noise only at the sides of the block theres a strong chance that you an internal engine problem. As far as removal and installation you should be able to follow our book to do the job.

Yes im kinda new to it still.I changed my oil and noticed alot of alumni inside my filter.What could cause this.And if its my crank should i just rebuild the motor or do a engine swap to save time and money.

slammedkitty -If there is aluminum shavings in the oil most likely its a bearing problem. Which one you don't know until you take it apart. Engine rebuild or swap is a good question. Some people don't have the time or tools to do what needed so they swap the motor with another. If you have the time and tools you may want to do it yourself. The cost are not always the same they can be more or less either way. Where are you getting a rebuilt engine from, cost of the core, is it the exact same engine, is this a car that need to have the original engine in it to have value all of these things need to be taken in and only you can make that decision.

I have the factory Oldsmobile 307 5.0L v8 Y 9 motor with A/C r13 system 200r4 universal transmission turnover miles 49,909.Yes I have all the tools and workspace to remove and repair my motor. I also have a DVD Basic engine building. Plus my Haynes repair guide.Crankshafts includes main/rod bearings is about $225 with core exchanged a couple of repair shops told me it will run me 1200 to redo the bottom end some quoted me 300 labor with supplying the part without part $699 labor is about $85 dollars an hour. I feel like I should try in do this myself because im trying to learn.I will take pictures on either route I go with what do you recommend me doing. My engine is coming from a junkyard that’s already removed
    machine shop qoutes from vavle job is $150 with parts cost 85.78 complete kit expect rocker arms 2.50 each with core inteack services $48.00 cleaning and regutting
    hot tank/honed 75.00 3day services work

Last edited by slammedkutty; 02-09-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Sounds like your starting a project, good luck.

A complete engine kit $693.12 with all fluids $30.85, belts plugs wires and both hoses run me $80.00 complete price $1,114.44 with out taxes’ turn around time maybe 3weeks because im a rookie at it. Machine shop work crankshaft Ground $80.00 what do you guys strongly recommend me doing. I’m eager to learn the trade
    Last edited by slammedkutty; 02-11-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Hey, slammedkutty,

Do what you think is right for you. An engine kit is a good way to go, since everything should be matched up and ready for assembly (aside from a thorough cleaning, of course). What you can afford is the biggest determining factor, though. But regardless, whatever route you choose to take, it's a big job, and you're going to learn a lot. And you're going to save money. And you're going to end up with a good, reliable car. It sounds like you've got the right attitude and want to do a good job, so you've already gotten off to the right start! Let us know how it turns out.

In this age where people just get rid of things when they wear out or need attention, it's nice to see someone who actually wants to fix something and keep it going!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hey, slammedkutty,

Do what you think is right for you. An engine kit is a good way to go, since everything should be matched up and ready for assembly (aside from a thorough cleaning, of course). What you can afford is the biggest determining factor, though. But regardless, whatever route you choose to take, it's a big job, and you're going to learn a lot. And you're going to save money. And you're going to end up with a good, reliable car. It sounds like you've got the right attitude and want to do a good job, so you've already gotten off to the right start! Let us know how it turns out.

In this age where people just get rid of things when they wear out or need attention, it's nice to see someone who actually wants to fix something and keep it going!

I'm going to rebuild the motor.And have a near by and close transmission shop rebuild my 200r4 its going to run me 350 a 1day job.My engine kit I found one cheaper because im keeping all my parts that can be reusable by the Machineshop such as the crank/rods/cylinder heads/inteak etc...By the way I will be reboarding my pistions to.030 I will keep you guys posted.And ill upload a video on how she runs when its done.My carb rebuilt cost me 280.My car will be new baiscailly wink wink

Just a quick hint before you get started - take your time. Most people get in trouble because they don't take the time to mark things when they first start the teardown. Use a camera and mark your hoses and bracket bolts.

Good luck