Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Volvo 850, high gas consumption

Default Volvo 850, high gas consumption

Hello,
    I have a 94 850 turbo, lately its burning alot of gas (so much that i can smell it in the exhaust), the onboard dash computer says its consuming aprox 15 L / 100 km....it used to go about 11 L/100km.... I've also noticed its not going into turbo (the white section on the guage)....
    When i read the code its comeing up with 2-3-1, acording to the haynes manual= long term fuel mixture too weak or too rich in part load. Too bad the manual does not give possible explanations for where to start with this prob/code....
    According to google searches most people recomend injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter.... would you be able to narrow it down further? And also, do you think the turbo is related to this prob or is that completely different?

Thanks for you help,
    Habib

habib - Can't really tell you for sure what's wrong but it sounds like an injector is leaking stuck in the open position allowing full fuel all the time.

The turbo shouldn't be causing this problem but your "to rich condition" can cause a problem that will effect the way your turbo performs.