Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '95 Mercury Sable serpentine belt question

Default '95 Mercury Sable serpentine belt question

Hello:

I have my Haynes manual for my 1995 Mercury Sable and it is still unclear to me how to successfully install a serpentine belt for this car. (3.0 litre engine)

I replaced the idler pulley, and it seems that the tensioner pulley should move so as to create some slack, so that the belt can be installed. However, I can not figure out how to move the tensioner pulley.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shadetree - The tensioner must be rotated away from the belt, then position the belt around the pulleys while holding the tensioner away. Once the belt is routed properly release the tensioner. Thats all. This tensioner is best roted from under the vehicle. There are special tools that can make this job so much easier.

Thanks. I don't have any of these special tools. It looks like a star shaped wrench of some kind that fits to the center of the recessed part of the tensoner pulley. (Don't have anything like that.)

Do I actually have to loosen one of those bolts (center star shaped one?) or can I just get a pry bar in there and wrench that pully towards downwards, to create the slack. ?

I don't know what that special tool I need is even called, so I didn't price it out - even after that I would expect it to be expensive. Most specialty tools are.

I'd rather not have it towed to a garage for that - it seems such a simple task. And yet it still gives me problems.

Thanks again...

Bill

shadetree - No bolts have to be loosen. You must rotate the tensioner away from the belt. You can try a prybar, Ive also seen 12-point sockets used instead of the torx socket (just remember there's a lot of spring tension).

Default NO to wrong tools!

No, No, NO. Do NOT use a 12-point wrench in place of a torx bit to move the belt tensioner. This is a course to a disaster once the tool slips with your fingers in the way. Do NOT do this!

Get the right sized torx bit for your 3/8" breaker bar.

Do the job right and you do not have to go to the hospital.

Just to clear things up for Shadetree -

Remember that we're just replacing the drivebelt, here, so there is no reason to remove the bolt in the center of the tensioner. The Ford factory service manual says you can use a 15mm wrench or socket on the bolt in the center of the tensioner pulley to pry the tensioner away from the drivebelt. DO NOT loosen the bolt. And, of course, you'll want to keep your fingers and hands out of the way in case the tensioner arm slips, since it's under considerable spring tension.

By the way, is that snow on the engine in your picture? Sorry you don't have a nice heated garage to work in!

Thank you for using Haynes manuals!
    Last edited by Mike F; 01-22-2008 at 10:17 PM.