Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2000 Civic Manual (online) and knock sensor

Default 2000 Civic Manual (online) and knock sensor

The replacement procedure for the knock sensor states:

"The knock sensor is threaded into the engine block coolant passage. When it is removed, coolant will drain from the block. Drain the cooling system..."

Is this accurate? Multiple other sources confirm that this is not the case. I would prefer not to drain the entire system down if it is not required. My particular engine is the D16Y8 in a 2000 Ex.

Hi IlBasile,

We're out of the office right now, but here's some advice: Whatever the case may be, it is absolutely essential that you wait until the engine is completely cool. I think I would try loosening the sensor slowly, and having the replacement sensor ready to be installed, and if any coolant starts to dribble out you would then have two choices - remove the old one and plug the hole with your finger (and be careful of coolant coming out, as you don't want any of that in your eyes), then install the new one as rapidly as you can to minimize the loss of coolant and the resulting mess. The other choice would be to drain the cooling system (at least to a point lower than the sensor), and proceed from there.

I was able to replace the sensor without any draining or leaking. It does not thread into any coolant passage.

This very statement in your manual appears to be a common topic of debate among civic forums - yet none have provided any concrete answer either way. Your readers may appreciate a revision to address the issue.

I was able to easily get to it from the top behind the manifold. I installed a 27mm deep socket over the existing sensor first, then guided the wrench with a 6" extension onto the socket. It took around 5 minutes once I did it this way. The key was placing the unattached socket first.

Thanks - that's good to know. It's always nice when you don't have to deal with coolant. Personally, it is my least favorite automotive fluid!!