Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Removing the manifold on a 2005 Ford Expedition

Hybrid View

Question Removing the manifold on a 2005 Ford Expedition

Hi,
    I've been told that my CHT sensor (Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor) is bad. (Throwing OBD codes P0119 & P1289)
    Althought the part is relatively cheap, it'll cost about $600 to replace because of labor due to the the manifold needing to be removed in order to change the sensor.
    My question is, should a novice like myself use the haynes manual and attempt to remove the manifold to replace the sensor in order to save money that I frankly don't have, or can I do serious damage causing more money to be spent on repairs?

Thanks.

DJ
    2005 Ford Expedition XLT
    5.4L V8
    205K Miles and counting

Hi djcraig3,

Hey! We are all about helping people save money. If you follow the instructions in the manual, you should have no problem.

Thanks for the reply. One more question, do you know if I will I need "special" tools or will my socket set and elbow grease do the trick?
    I ask because I don't have my manual with me at work and want to know if I'll need to stop on the way home to purchase the tools along with the sensor.

Sorry, can't really tell you what tools you'll need, but looking at the procedure it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary will be necessary.