Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2003 Honda CRV Expansion Valve Replacement

Angry 2003 Honda CRV Expansion Valve Replacement

I have to replace the Expansion Valve, after just replacing the compressor last week! I purchased the Haynes online manual for my car, and it was NO help at all. It didn't even list or show the part anywhere, even after doing a search. Glad i spent 35 bucks on that! Anyway....

So Can someone give me some guidance on how to do this, where its located. Etc. I know I have to take out the glove box and get to it that way, but after that not so sure.

Thanks in Advance!!

Hi redwards69,

I looked in the Honda factory service manual and they don't have a replacement procedure for the expansion valve. Neither does Mitchell On Demand or AllData. The illustration in the factory service manual of the evaporator looks like the valve might be an integral component of the evaporator. If you contact one of our tech service reps at 1-800-442-9637 they will be able to furnish you with an evaporator removal and installation procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi redwards69,

I looked in the Honda factory service manual and they don't have a replacement procedure for the expansion valve. Neither does Mitchell On Demand or AllData. The illustration in the factory service manual of the evaporator looks like the valve might be an integral component of the evaporator. If you contact one of our tech service reps at 1-800-442-9637 they will be able to furnish you with an evaporator removal and installation procedure.
    I bought the expansion valve at auto zone, and I was originally told by Tires Plus that it needed to be replaced. I joined Alldatadiy.com thinking it would help, just like i joined haynes, and it says that its a 2.7 hour job. I found a random bulletin board and it gave me these directions. Just would like a couple pics so i know what i'm looking for!

remove glove box

cut the plastic piece where the marks are

remove pcm and bracket

remove all harness connectors and clips

remove 5 or 6 bolts holding the blower box in

remove blower box

remove 8 or 9 screws holding evap cover in place

remove the 10mm bolt holding the lines to the expansion valve under the hood

pull lines off

remove evaporator and unbolt the 2 allen head bolts to remove the expansion valve

reassemble

Thanks!

Yes, that's pretty much the procedure. First, though, you'll have to have the A/C system discharged by a licensed air conditioning technician (you're not supposed to vent it to the atmosphere). Like I said in my last response, call one of our tech service reps and they'll be able to furnish you with some additional information regarding evaporator removal, which includes a few illustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Yes, that's pretty much the procedure. First, though, you'll have to have the A/C system discharged by a licensed air conditioning technician (you're not supposed to vent it to the atmosphere). Like I said in my last response, call one of our tech service reps and they'll be able to furnish you with some additional information regarding evaporator removal, which includes a few illustrations.
    Would it be a good idea to get replace the evaporator as well? Since i'm going to be tearing out the expansion valve anyway. Just trying to save myself another headache!

Thanks for all your help!

You did say alldata and my haynes online manual had instructions for removing the evaporator?

It really wouldn't be necessary to replace the evaporator unless it's leaking. No, the evaporator removal and installation procedure is not included in the Haynes manual, that's why you can call one of our tech service reps and they can get you the information you need.