Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: My 2001 olds silhouette according to the manufactorer has a coolant fan relay R4005Z

Default My 2001 olds silhouette according to the manufactorer has a coolant fan relay R4005Z

This relay isn't in the online manual and it's not one of the 3 listed in the book. I'm haveing problems locateing it under the hood the only thing the dealer is telling me is it's there and it's on 100% of the 2001 olds silhouetts. By chance can someone help me find this relay on the silhouette?

Hi again RocNB,

I'm looking at a wiring diagram and a component locator in the 2001 GM factory service manual for your Silhouette, and it indicates that all of the cooling fan relays are located in the underhood fuse/relay box (their term is the "underhood accessory wiring junction block"). I've corroborated this with a graphic from AllData (a professional information subscription service) - they say the same thing. I do not have access to part numbers, but I have a hunch that you were sold the wrong part and since it doesn't match the cooling fan relays in the underhood fuse/relay block, you're looking for a similar looking part. The problem is, there are only three cooling fan relays and they are all located in the underhood fuse/relay block, just like we show in our book and our online manual (that photograph was taken in our shop on an Olds Silhouette).

I also visited the BWD website (the manufacturer of that relay) and on one of their downloadable PDFs found that the R4005 relay application was for 1992-1994 Acuras and 1987-1995 GM vehicles. It appears to be a stand-alone or "remote" relay that doesn't plug into a relay block, but mounts to a bracket or the firewall or something like that.

I should also say that it's possible that a trouble code might be set when a fan/circuit problem occurs. In the case of the high-speed fan, it would be code P0481. Other problems could occur that may not set a code though. The diagnostic procedure is quite involved, but proper diagnosis should be performed so parts aren't replaced unnecessarily.

Have you performed the checking procedures described in Chapter 3, Section 4? That will help you rule out a bad fan motor.

The high-speed cooling fan relay is the lower left relay in illustration 4.2. The one on the lower right is the cooling fan relay (which controls both fan circuits) and the upper relay is the low-speed fan relay.