Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: My 2001 Olds Silhouette running hot and the transaxle is shifting hard

Default My 2001 Olds Silhouette running hot and the transaxle is shifting hard

I took it to the shop and had transaxle fluid and filter changed. They also replaced a cooling fan sensor. it's still running hot and shifting hard. On monday they are going to change the thermostat or the water pump, when coolant and water was added to the resavoir I can tell by the color no movement of coolant has moved thru the resavoir, I can see green surounded clear water in the resavoir. After the motor cooled down I can feel a little movement while trying to move the housing covering the water pump. The upper hose to the thermostat is hot and the water pump isn't leaking. I've also see the temp gauge runs in the hot area and some cooling is seen by the gauge lowering from hot to cooling somewhat. I want to make the right repair and try not do both unless I have to. Which repair would you start with first? The water pump or the thermostat.

Well, sounds like your mechanic is going to replace the thermostat and water pump today, so by this afternoon you'll know if the problem is fixed! Hope it goes well.