Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '06 Silverado "service 4wd" indicator

Default '06 Silverado "service 4wd" indicator

I have an '06 Silverado 1500 4x4. The service 4wd indicator came on (no onstar). Chevy states it is a problem in the front differential $670 job. It has only happened once but I don't want to be stuck, suggestions? Thanks

Hi Robert,

Generally a code will be stored in the computer if a problem with the 4WD system occurs and the light comes on. Without knowing the code, we really can't offer a whole lot of advice. However potential causes include the transfer case wiring harness electrical connector (there has been a service bulletin issued regarding this - Bulletin No. 05-04-21-003C), encoder motor sensor or motor, or the 4X4 switch.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi Robert,

Generally a code will be stored in the computer if a problem with the 4WD system occurs and the light comes on. Without knowing the code, we really can't offer a whole lot of advice. However potential causes include the transfer case wiring harness electrical connector (there has been a service bulletin issued regarding this - Bulletin No. 05-04-21-003C), encoder motor sensor or motor, or the 4X4 switch.
    I don't know the code, service dept never told me

All I have right now is the receipt from Chevy saying it needs:
    - part 80802 T case encoder

I will inquire about the bulletin, does the bulletin help with cost or just info. Sorry, I am not a huge DIY'er but hate getting back from deployments and seeing these little things pop up.

No, the bulletin is just information.