Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1998 C70 engine change

Default 1998 C70 engine change

Hello,
    I have a 1998 C70 engine B5234 T3 with a spun rod bearing. I would like to replace the engine with a later year 2000 or up but I've been told the only engine I can use is the same year as I have and the same model. The manual shoes the engine B5254 T I guess as an alternate at the time of purchase. Which engine is better if I stay with the same year and, is it possible to use a later year engine instead? I'm a big block Chevy man at heart but I do love my Volvo C70 and would like to install a cam and headers and a few other things just to boost it just a little.

Thanks in advance to any help or information I can get on this My Volvo is in the garage now and it's breaking my heart every time I look at it.

Thanks,
    Giv

Hi Giv,

I would recommend that you install the same year and model engine that you have, otherwise you might be opening a can of worms. The B5234 T3 (2.3L) engine was used in models through 2002, but I have no way of knowing if it would be a straight swap with no issues as far as electrical connections and ancillary components. The B 5254 T engine is a 2.4L, but again, I don't know if it would be a simple replacement.
    It would be a good idea to search some Volvo enthusiast forums to try to get a better feel for this. Maybe even post the question on one of those forums. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses.
    Good luck with the project. Let us know what you route you chose and how it worked out!