Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '03 GTP: Using Directional Causes Engine To Shut Down...

Unhappy '03 GTP: Using Directional Causes Engine To Shut Down...

Hi, thanks for being here and providing this resource. I'm at my wits end and can't find anything listed in my Haynes manual (#38010) to reference the problem I'm experiencing.

A few weeks ago I poped a misfire code (P0303), took it to my buddies garage and had him run another diagnostic which showed that I had an intermitent injector issue. His reader pulled up some other code which I don't have handy at the moment. Lack of funds have me waiting until next week to replace the injector; wires and spark plugs are new.

Two days ago, while driving, my speedometer started jumping around like crazy, then my security light lit up along with the check engine light, SRS airbag light and I started getting a wierd buzzing noise from my steering column lower dashboard area. Seconds after that, the lights got dim and the engine shut down. I muscled the car to the side of the road, put it in park and turned the ignition off. I waited a few minutes to see and smell the smoke from what I believe to be a bad electrical short but nothing manifested. Tried the ignition and my baby started. I had no other problems that day or any other day until today.

Comming home from work, when I use the directionals, left or right, kills the engine with a horriable buzzing noise. I was looking at my manual and in Chapter 12-8 (#11) it mentions someting about detaching wires from a 'buzzer switch'. Is this part of the directional cluster (and to make it more fun I have cruise controll to) and can be replaced or has to be replaced as a whole unit? Also, is this just a symptom of some greater problem lurking waiting to occur.

Until this happened today, I thought I was looking at a crank position sensor issue but now I'm not sure.

HELP!!

Issues have changed a bit since yesterday. Car is now parked and going nowhere.

I went to start up this morning and the car is running real rough, same issue with the dash lights and the speedometer jumping all over the place. I was looking at the wiring diagrams last night and noticed an ignition lead running to the multi-switch directional for the cruise control. Before I take the steering apart, could it be possible that this ignition lead is shorting out causing this issue? A friend of mine, who's a mechanic says it souinds like my 'clock-spring' is shot.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

*BUMP* to the top.

Hello Session09,

Based on what you have described, I don't believe your clockspring is an issue. The type of vehicle condition that you have described can be difficult to diagnose. Most professionals will have to spend time inspecting your vehicle to find the root cause. Because we are not able to inpect your vehicle from a remote location, we are limited to making a few suggestions... By the way, no smoke is good. Check your battery voltage to see if is fully charged (12.66 V). Make a thorough visual inpection under the dash for any loose wires. Check wires that are connected to solid metal parts - like brackets or the unibody frame. Basically, it seems that you have a loose connection somewhere. If there is nothing obvious, then it's time to seek professional assistance. One thing that might also point you in the right direction is to do some online research for Grand Prix enthusiasts with your year and model vehicle. They post their experiences with failures and yours might be addressed.

Thanks for the input; I'm going to start Saturday (6/9/12) under the dash looking at the harness where the tilt knuckle is for the tilt steering. Throw some holy water at me, there's a reason why my friends call me "the prince of darkness". I just got some new batteries for my multimeter and will pick up a new "power probe III" tonight. I'll drop a post here next week sometime to document my progress for other folks who might experience a issue similar to what I'm going through.

Thanks again.

Ok, I'm on the road again!

This was one of those times where I broke down and went for a systems diagnostic; my reasoning was:

(1) I checked all wiring from the cabin harness connector to the ignition switch for continuity, no issues.
    (2) I checked all wiring from the cabin harness connector to the combination switch for continuity, no issues.

I didn't go to a GM shop, I went to a reputable shop reconmended by a motorhead friend of mine; cost of systems scan: $95.00 (Look on the face of the Tech when all that showed up were security codes...priceless!). After answering a few questions and making the Tech feel comfortable that I infact did check the wires he went and had a conversation with an older than me guy in the shop (I'm almost 50) the old timer came over and I explained the symptoms listed a few posts ago, he disappeared and came back with a ignition switch poped it in and they let the car run for two and a half hours with people taking turns in the shop hitting the directionals; not once did the car die.

I paid the shop $94.00 for the switch $50.00 for labor (I already had everything exposed and taken apart) and was told that if I got stuck to have them tow me to their shop.

Admin, the best advice you gave me was to research other forums; right on the money with that! It was seeing all the ignition wiring issues that others experienced, reading the wiring diagrams and taking the time to think logically about the situation that helped the most. As a side bonus, I learned how to use my multimeter and Power Probe like a pro! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Hello session09,

We're glad to hear of your success! We really like hearing about good outcomes. Thanks for the kindness regarding our advise, we do our best to lead folks in the right direction.

Best regards!

Admin