Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: coolant leaks - possibly water jacket core plug?

Default coolant leaks - possibly water jacket core plug?

Hi all. This is a 2000 Acura Integra GS (not vtec). Coolant leaks from a weird place near the block and drips down over the transmission. Doesn't overheat and the fans come on properly so I'm ruling out water pump, thermostat and ECT sensor. Could it be the core plugs leaking? Thanks! I got the idea from p. 0-20 of my 2001 Haynes publication.

Hi ajay,

You have a coolant leak. Everything will work ok until the coolant level drops too low, so don't rule out anything until you find the problem. Pinpoint the leak and fix it before expensive damage is done. Leaks aren't always easy to find, but they're easier to find if you clean up the area as best you can.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I actually found it yesterday when I ran the AC for a long time and drove about 3-4 miles. As soon as I got home, I popped the hood and saw coolant shooting from a heater hose that was collapsed because of a crack. Easier fix than I thought and I'm glad it wasn't a big one either!

Great! If you have to make a car repair, it's always nice when the problem becomes obvious!