Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2003 Hyundai Accent parking brake cable replacement - retaining clip??

Default 2003 Hyundai Accent parking brake cable replacement - retaining clip??

I'm trying to replace the parking brake cables on my 2003 hyundai accent, referring to Haynes manual 43015

I'm trying to find out what is holding the parking brake cable to the backing, and in which direction should the cable be removed.

I have detached the cable and removed it from the cabin and the under body, and detached the cable from the brake shoe. However, I cannot move the cable either forwards or backwards through the backing plate of the rear drum brakes.

I removed a very insignificant-looking wire clip from the back of the backing, but that did not seem to be holding the cable in anyways. The illustration in section 9-13 seems to show a clip on the inside of the backing, but this is for 1989 and earlier models. The manual states that later models have a u-shaped spring clip. I don't see anything u-shaped. What I do see are two concentric rings that the cable protrudes from.

Do these perhaps need to be pried out? They don't seem to budge.

What holds the parking brake cable to the backing, and in which direction should the cable be removed?

Thanks!

Hello arrowsican,

According to our resources, there is a retaining ring on the parking brake cable housing at the rear of the backing plate - right where the cable goes into the backing plate. Removing the ring should allow you to withdraw the cable from the backing plate.