Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Truck seems to be loosing prime for fuel.

Default Truck seems to be loosing prime for fuel.

Anybody have any ideas as to why my truck needs to have the ignition turned on off on off to start. I do this to "prime" the fuel. Once it is running it runs great with no issues. Could it be something with the fuel pump letting fuel back into tank. Almost the same idea with a water pump for a house when foot valve is faulty. The vehicle i have is a 2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 with a 4.8 in it. Thanx.

Hello treeclimber13.

Yes - there is a check valve that maintains pressure in the system for quicker starting. Refer to Chapter 4 and check your fuel pressure. Generally, you can see how the pressure holds with the engine off after running. A relatively quick drop indicates a problem. Keep in mind that a leaking fuel injector nozzle(s) or other components can affect fuel pressure.

Well all i can say is this is ggggreat.(just like Tony the Tiger) I just bought My online Hanes manual and it helped me a great deal. To be able to ask a specific question like this and get answered i must say 10 outta 10. Thank you for the fast reply. Cheers

Thanks for the props. Glad we could help!