Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 04 Toyota Highlander cooling fan/charging light issue

Default 04 Toyota Highlander cooling fan/charging light issue

My wife's Highlander started having an issue last week. I bought a Haynes manual for it and cannot find the electrical schematic I need in it. The cooling fan was running even with the key off. I thought it might have been a little warm and would shut off later but the next morning it was still running. When I turn the car on, the battery light goes on and the fan goes off. If I turn up the A/C the fan starts to run and the light goes off. The two seem to be linked somehow but none of the schematics show the cooling fans and I didn't find a sequence of operation for the cooling fans. Maybe I am missing it in the manual. Any suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Hello jonahpk,

It sounds as if one of the relays may be faulty. Those relays are in the engine compartment relay box. Email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com, or call them at 1-800-442-9637. Give them the number/letter combination on the title page of the manual, just to the right of the Haynes logo; it looks something like this: (4JR - 36055). They'll do what they can to help.

Thanks for the help...but after checking the relays the problem still persists. Could it be the engine control module? And is the PCM the same thing as the ECM? Your book makes references to the PCM in the written part but ECM in your schematics and it would almost seem that they are one in the same but I wouldn't want to assume that.

Hello jonahpk,

Well, your assumption is safe regarding the terms PCM and ECM, but I don't think that's your problem. Our Technical Research Department may be able to provide a specific wiring diagram for your vehicle. This would be a very helpful tool in locating the problem in your circuit.