Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '93 Ford F150 driver side door difficult to open

Default '93 Ford F150 driver side door difficult to open

Hea Haynes it's me again with another question. A little over a week ago I started having trouble opening the driver side door (from inside) on my1993 Ford F150. Then last Sunday I was messing around with the door trying to figure out what the deal was and the door handle broke off in my hand. I seemed to have to really have work the inside door handle to get it to open. What is causing this? When I went to the parts store earlier this evening to get a new door handle the man said something about shimming up the door or cutting the plastic around the striker. What does this mean? What would cause this problem? Would it be better to get a metal handle off an '80s model Ford truck from a wrecking yard? Please help, I'm getting tired of having to roll down the window and reaching through to open the door from the outside.

Hi cowboy,

Aside from the door handle, I hope all is well!

I would remove the door panel and see if the rod between the handle and the latch is distorted. Sometimes operating rods have kinks/bends in them that can get straightened out if the latch isn't properly engaging with the striker (you have to pull the handle too hard to open the door, which eventually can distort the rod).

Would this be a rod or cable? Because I saw something on a Ford sight that was talking about a cable. If this is the problem; will I be able to bend the rod or cable back or will I need to obtain another one from say a wrecking yard? Also will I need to disconnect the wires from the power windows when I remove the door panel? It sounds like this might be a lot of trouble. Thanks for your help.

Oops - you're right, it's a cable. Getting the door panel off is no big deal - just follow the procedure in Chapter 11. Once you're in there you can operate the latch lever manually to see how it is working. It may be that the cable stretched over the years and couldn't actuate the latch lever completely.

Ok would it be possible to bend the cable with a pair of pliers or will I need to purchase another one from a parts store or wrecking yard? I purchased another door handle from a local big name parts store the other day and it broke on the second pull; it seemed to be rather cheap. I'm starting to think an OEM door handle may be better. By the way thanks for your help thus far. Just wondering whether or not it be possible to bend the cable.

Hello cowboy,

If you think that the cable is binding, try using some spray lubricant down into the cable housing to see if that will free the cable up a bit. It's possible that you may need a new cable. Your door latch may need lubrication as well. If the mechanism moves with ease after lubrication, then your replacement release handle should last. Let us know how this works...

Ok I'll try these things you're talking about and let you know how it turns out. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it this weekend. Thanks for all your help Haynes administrator; your help has been greatly appreciated.